Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He has a big soft bump on his ear lope. He is about 7 years…

Customer Question
He has a big soft...
He has a big soft bump on his ear lope. He is about 7 years old and he is a bull terrier, if that's of any help.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
12/15/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Is the lump in between the ear flaps? Is it soft like there is a water balloon in his ear flap?

to all the above.
Dog Specialist: Dr. G., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear Buddy is having this problem. I believe Buddy has what is called an ear hematoma. This is a blood filled pocket (blood blister) that forms on the pinnae (ear flaps). This is a common problem. Typically this happens because a dog either is shaking his head a lot, scratching at his ears a lot, or there is a bite or other injury to the ear. If this is from shaking or scratching, usually it is secondary to an ear infection, which will need to be treated. Regardless of the cause, usually there are a couple options to fix the ear:

1) Surgery: surgery is usually what is recommended. This is where your vet opens up the pocket to drain it and places sutures to close up the space created from the blood pulling the skin of the cartilage making that pocket. This is a very routine surgery.

2) drainage: some vets will drain the hematoma repeatedly and treat with steroids. This works sometimes, but if it does not, you may need surgery a few weeks later.

3) benign neglect: some people will just leave it and let it be. This is not an ideal route to go, but it will heal eventually on its own. What will happen, is the ear tip will scar down and fold in, which can create a so called "cauliflower ear." This can become a problem down the road.

My recommendation would be to get Buddy to a vet today to have the ear checked out. They can give you medication to treat in the ear (if there is any infection) and either drain it or schedule surgery depending on what things look like.