Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is walking sort of drunk. Whining a bit. Was not

Hi. My dog is walking...
Hi. My dog is walking sort of drunk. Whining a bit. Was not excited to get food (though she did get up and eat it). Usually she's really excited when I come home and let her out of her kennel but today she went back in and layed down with some whimpering. She was just give. A new rope chew toy before we left for 3hr. She loved it and was super excited when we gave it to her. 3hr later we come home and she is acting weird. She's only 6 months old, staffordshire bull terrier. The new toy is still fully in tact and she didn't eat anything she isn't supposed to eat that we have noticed.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is Mita. (Might-ah)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mita?
Customer: She's vaccinated and lives mostly indoors except for walking and back yard. We live with 3 cats.
12/15/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of what you're seeing?

Is she still eating and drinking well?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Is she spayed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a short video from a few minutes ago of her standing and being a bit off balance.Right now she is curled up on the bed And once in a while she wimpers a bit . Seemingly uncomfortable or some pain. When I touch her abdomen or anywhere on her body she does not react as if it's causing any pain though.She's been on the same food since I got her, Acana large breed puppy food (dry). She's not had any new treats or food since she started acting this way. We gave her a new toy (twisted rope chew toy) and she loved it. We went for supper and put her in kennel with the new toy. The toy is still in tact and she did not rip it apart or swallow any of it. We haven't noticed anything else she could have eaten while we were out for supper.She is 6 months and not spayed. She's not gone into heat yet that i know of. No human food or anything different than usual. We have had her for the last 3 months since she came home with me.She's not gotten into any trash or anything recently that we know of and she doesn't get time out of sight unless she is in her kennel.Mitch

Are you able to share the video?

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She seems to be more steady and less wobbly now and not whining as often as she was when we got home tonight about 2hrs ago.

Are you able to share the video?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't seem to get the video to attach and trying to upload to ingur or YouTube is weird . My phone won't show me the video to upload when I try that way.She is eating and drinking, but she was not as excited to eat as he normally is. I had to basically bring her over to the food and then she ate it but slower than usual. And she has drank some water a couple times now. She's not as wobbly as she was when we first came home and not as much wimpering. But she still seems a bit off from her usual self.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://youtu.be/7Fs7R59zdyw

Thank you for the video, this is helpful. The way that she is standing and her whining looks as though she may be painful in her abdomen. When you touched her abdomen, was this with soft or firm palpation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I touch her abdomen it is somewhat hard. I think maybe harder than usual. Though she doesn't seem to get more pain from the touch and doesnt seem bothered by it.

I believe we've misunderstood one another. When you touched her abdomen, was this with soft or firm palpation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I press on her abdomen semi-hard. Not squishing her guts or anything but feeling and pressing fi
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pressing firmly but not too hard.

The pressure may not be enough to elicit a pain response if she's, indeed, painful. If Mita were my companion, we'd go to the ER this evening for diagnostics. Failing this, I would begin a protocol to help with the suspect discomfort in her abdomen. With relief of her symptoms, we may be willing to lay down and rest instead of standing, swaying and whining. I would not be surprised to see vomiting or diarrhea start this evening, but keep a particular eye out for any blood being passed. Mita is still young and though fully vaccinated she's not outside of the age range we see for dogs to develop conditions like parvo, intestinal parasites and so forth although vaccinated and dewormed regularly. Bullies, of all breeds, tend to have a higher risk of such conditions, in fact.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi thanks. She has been acting normal again after we woke up the next morning. She's back to her usual self.

Excellent news!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse