Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Trying to kill rats with cheese and bleach sprayed on the…

Customer Question
Trying to kill rats...

Trying to kill rats with cheese and bleach sprayed on the cheese but she ate a piece will that kill her? It was very small.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

JuneBug and i think she’s 4 or 5 she’s adopted

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about JuneBug?

She’s a fully grown German shepherd probably 130 lbs

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How large was the piece of cheese?

How long ago was this consumed?

It was consumed 5 minutes ago and half a slice of cheese

This is unlikely to harm JuneBug and may wind up only causing a GI upset. Watch for nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, avoidance of food or water, etc. If you see worsening of her condition, she needs to be examined.

If you see GI symptoms develop, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will also caution you that rats are extremely smart animals and will likely avoid cheese entirely. Peanut butter is a more effective route of getting them to take in anything orally but for JuneBug's sake I would consider live traps so she does not consume anything that might harm her such as rat bait.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

just to 100% clarify it’s unlikely to hurt her?

It's correct that it's unlikely to harm her, but nothing is 100%. Enough bleach can be toxic, though she's consumed a very small amount. Watch for symptoms and expect that she may exhibit GI problems. Follow the directions mentioned above if these symptoms occur.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing today?