Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog seems fine, but the dead rat from our poop bin is…

Customer Question
My dog seems fine...

My dog seems fine, but the dead rat from our poop bin is missing, and our dogs nose smells as though he was sniffing poop. The rat was tossed in the bin 2 weeks ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Bosco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bosco?

He’s a 70lb Weim

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 9 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Actually, I would not be too worried about this, in my experience, most dogs will get away with this sort of incident or perhaps just show minor symptoms such as a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea. When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this sort of thing on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers so most of them will get away with this sort of incident and the chances are that a domestic dog like Bosco will as well.

2. There are no special measures you need take for now other than just keeping an eye on him, but I will give you some advice on what to do if Bosco should suffer a bout of gastroenteritis. { Only do this if symptoms occur }

3. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

4. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed your dog four or five small light meals during the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his or normal diet over the next few days.

5. Of course, if things get out of hand then have him checked over by your local vet without delay, but really this would be unlikely. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bosco's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

This is what I figured.. his appetite is normal, no V or D yet. He does have a sensitive stomach so I am aware of how to reset his track if needed.. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t risking a renal failure situation.. Anything else I should keep a watch out for?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. I would not be too worried at present, fingers crossed this will not affect him, any renal involvement would be unlikely with a dead rat, but they can spread disease through their urine when alive. Any expected symptoms in your dog's case would really be a form of food poisoning from the contaminated material and might include such things as vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy and inappetence.

2. You can always get back to me if things change though.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bosco is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the dead rat ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?