Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate 50-60 gnc urinary support supplement. 6months…

Customer Question
My dog ate 50-60...

My dog ate 50-60 gnc urinary support supplement

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bailey 6months

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
12/14/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 9 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Ok

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. As the name suggests this is more a food supplement than a drug and as such it has a very high margin of safety for dogs, so even with this amount { 50 -60 } having been swallowed, it is not likely to be toxic to Bailey as such, so no worries there. However, it is possible that he may suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea purely because of the ingestion of a larger amount of an unusual food source for dogs. This can happen when a dog eats larger amounts of almost anything! So for the moment you will be taking very little risk in just observing Bailey for now, however, I will give you a few ideas on how to handle things if a mild tummy upset should occur.

2. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

3. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

4. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

5. Of course, if a bout of gastroenteritis does occur { It may not } and any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bailey's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Just checking back in to see how Bailey is doing?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bailey is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning .the urinary support supplement issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?