Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My min pin is 10 years old and at night he swallow alot and…

Customer Question
My min pin is...

My min pin is 10 years old and at night he swallow alot and he licks the blankets or his foot im conerned

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Not sure

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
12/13/2017
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 9 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

What you are seeing could be caused by nausea as it concerns the the swallowing and licking blankets.

When it comes to licking the feet, it can be due to allergies.

What have you tried so far to help the dog?

I feed him Natural balance duck and sweet potatoes. For his upset stomach can I give him tums or Prevacid? What kind of human food can I give him for upset stomach rice?

For stomach upset you can give Pepcid AC or Zanac and I will direct you to links for dosing information.

If you feed one or two meals a day, I might break that up into 4 smaller meals, with the last being before bed.

For allergies you can give Benadryl or Zyrtec and I will put links below for these as well that goes over dosing and precautions. Be sure that when you use any allegy medication that it is for allergy only and not a "D" or for cold and sinus.

Benadryl http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl

zyrtec

It may take 3-5 days of regular dosing to see the most improvement:

http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/zyrtec-for-dogs/

Pepcid http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Zantac https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac-for-dogs-and-cats/

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Sally G.
I took your advice. We put her to sleep that day.
thank you for your help.
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 8 months ago

I am sorry to hear. I wish you the best.