Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 65 lb boxer ate the silicone end of a basting brush about…

Customer Question
My 65 lb boxer...

My 65 lb boxer ate the silicone end of a basting brush about 40 minutes ago. I gave him 3 doses of hydrogen perioxide 96.5 ml) over the course of 30 minutes to try to get him to vomit. I would like to get it out of him so it has no chance of getting stuck in his intestine tract

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Honri age 21 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Honri?

He is on fluconizole for valley fever

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
12/13/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I can understand that you would like to induce vomiting in Honri after he ingested the silicone end of a basting brush.

To induce vomiting I recommend that you give 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight soaked up with bread chunks, or mixed with ice cream or a little food (no more than 3 tablespoons at a time even for a pup greater than 35 pounds).

Then take the pup outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

If you have given 96.5mls of peroxide you have given plenty of peroxide.

Some dogs don't vomit with peroxide, no matter how much is given. And giving more may lead to gastroesophageal burns, as peroxide works by irritating the lining of the stomach. It is not worth overdosing him.

Some things to consider:

Is the peroxide fresh (NOT expired)?

Did you get him moving around after giving the peroxide so the peroxide bubbles? If he refuses to run you can place one hand on each side of his abdomen and gently move his abdomen side to side to get the peroxide agitated.

Peroxide seems to work better with something else present to take up room in the stomach, like bread chunks or dry food.

If with all of this he still isn't vomiting then a quick trip to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting is best.

If you are lucky the motion of a car ride will get him to vomit. Knowing that make sure that you lay down blankets or towels to protect your car.

Best of luck with your fellow.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

no progress yet (from either end). He is still eating, playing and going to the bathroom fine

I am glad to hear that he is still feeling fine. A this point it is a wait and see game. Hopefully pieces of the material pass over he next several days. As long as it doesn't cause an obstruction and he is bright and happy it's fine to continue watchful waiting.