Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Well at first it was just him nibbling at his leg and then…

Customer Question
Hello. Well at first...

Hello. Well at first it was just him nibbling at his leg and then that exact leg started hurting to the point of him limping and yelping out of pain. But today he’s throwing up and yelping more than ever and i don’t know If it’s the leg or not

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He has allergies so itching and biting at himself is really common but during my last trip to the vet they gave him steroids and prescribed shampoo instead of giving him his allergy shots

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
12/12/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Were the steroids injectable or oral?

What medication are you giving at home right now, if any?

Are you seeing any visible wounds on the leg?

Where on the leg was he chewing?

What breed is he?

I just bought a different flavor of food but same brand. I usually get him the same treats. But if I get him a toy it is chewed up within seconds so I rarely get him toys I had to give him the steroids orally once a day until they were gone. There is no visible wound on the leg. And I’m not sure we’re hes been chewing but I know it’s his left leg. He is pit bull/ American bulldog

When was he last dosed with steroids?

4-5 months

He's likely chewing due to the allergies but the change in the food is probably a secondary problem. It often does not matter if you stick with the same brand or not, any movement between "flavors" in the foot is enough of a change that dogs need a 7-10 days slow switch to avoid a GI upset.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

Once he's holding down food and medication, you can try antihistamines and aspirin to help with discomfort and the nibbling. I recommend Zyrtec for the antihistamine. Dosages here for Zyrtec: http://www.aahneenah.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/antihistamines_dogs.pdf and here for aspirin: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/. If this does not help or he worsens, he absolutely needs to see your vet. Other concerns may be present such as arthritis, foreign material in the limb, a tick borne illness, etc.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing today?

He’s going good. No yelping or throwing up. He hasn’t been limping but I’ve been giving him pain reliever for dogs.

Excellent news. Let me know if I can assist further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy