Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Have a puppy apox 11 wks old. Was vomiting but not for last…

Customer Question
Have a puppy apox...

Have a puppy apox 11 wks old. Was vomiting but not for last 12 hours. She won't eat but will drink if I give it to her. Has black tarry stool.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?

Not that I am aware of but it is possible.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Penelope

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penelope?

I just got her and her three sisters about 5 days ago. She is the only one not feeling well.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
She does not appear to be in pain. But she's not eaten dog food since yesterday morning other than some chicken broth I made and fed her here and there to keep her hydrated and some nutrients going in. She is peeing and pooping but poop is tarry and black. No fever, no shivers and no rapid breathing. She's alert but not playful.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/12/2017
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 9 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

What you are seeing will need a Veterinary hands on exam and some tests. Black tarry stool is an indication the dog has some bleeding inside, it is being digested and it is coming out in the feces. This could indicate Parvo and this needs serious treatment.

I would urge you to seek out your Vet ASAP and until you know what you are dealing with I would keep this pup away from other puppies.

Here is a link that goes over the parvo virus

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_dg_canine_parvovirus_infection

Here you can read about Melena ( black tarry stool) which would require a Veterinarian visit as well.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_dg_melena