Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She has some irritation along the gumline and I'm not sure…

Customer Question
Hello, she has some...

Hello, she has some irritation along the gumline and I'm not sure if it's a fatty tumor or an infection

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

She lets me touch it, and it's spongy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Pinney is 12 She weighs 90lbs

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
12/12/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a picture of what you're seeing?

No. I'm at work. I noticed it as I was giving her kisses on my way out

A picture will help me to best assist you through seeing what you're seeing. Our discussion is not timed. Would you like to send one along when you return home?

I can Google one similar if that helps for now. I'm on a 24 hour

If that is your preferred route, I'll be happy to take a look.

Is the area also smooth like in the photo?

Is she on any medication at this time?

What breed is Pinney?

Any bleeding from the gums?

Do the teeth appear clean or is calculus present?

Area is smooth, no medication, she is pit bull german shepherd mix. Calculus is present
Also, she has never had a professional cleaning of the teeth

This appears to be an epulis. It may have formed due to the calculus on the teeth or may simply be an overgrowth of tissue. These are quite often benign but oral tumors can be cancerous and aggressive. For the sake of safety, I would have your vet examine the area. They may wish to remove the growth and send it off for histopathology to determine what it is and what needs to be done, if anything. Many dogs do grow epuli as they age. Following removal (and possible professional dental cleaning) your vet may recommend dental chews to help with the calculus on the teeth, oral rinses, water additive, etc. if they believe the calculus may be contributing to the presence of the tissue. More info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2089&aid=3057 For the time being, be mindful of chew toys and such which may break open the epulis and cause it to bleed (often profusely).

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is Pinney doing today?