Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I came home to find an empty pepper grinder and black

Customer Question
I came home to...

I came home to find an empty pepper grinder and black peppercorns all over the floor. No one is home so I don't know what happened and I don't know if the dog ate any of them. He tends to try eating stuff off the floor very often so it's possible he ate some but I have no way of knowing if he did or how much.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 4 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Drake?

He has allergies (itchy skin) but no other health concerns. He weighs 11 pounds. He seems fine so I don't actually know if he ate any pepper, just want to know what to look out for if anything.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog
12/11/2017
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 2 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

Pepercorns are not toxic. The big issue here is in a small dog if enough are ingested they could possibly cause a blockage. In any dog the big concern would be a gastrointestinal upset. If you think this happened less than 2 hours ago we can induce vomiting to bring up stomach comtents using Peroxide. If you feel it has been longer than that time frame. then you will need to monitor for Gastrointestinal distress. THis would include vomiting, wratching, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Should this happen fast the dog for 12 hours, but allow small amounts of water. You can give Pepecid AC to aid with Vomiting. Under 20 pounds 1/4 of a 10mg. 20- 40 pound 1/2 and over 40 pounds go to 1 whole tablet. This will help settle the stomach. After 12 hours start with a bland diet on 1 part skinless chicken breast to 3 parts while rice. Keep the dog on the bland diet until issues subside and then gradually wean back onto the normal diet.

If the issues are extreme do not hesitate to see the Vet for teartment,

Please hit reply to discuss this information and your concerns.

Joan

Ok thank you. I was away for 5 hours and my stepdaughters were home for part of that time but we're not here when I got home so it's hard to know how much (if any) he ate. He seems fine right now so I will keep an eye out for any gastrointestinal distress. Thanks again for your help!

You are welcome! If I have addressed your concerns, Please take amoment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I get a positive rating.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech