Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

One of my German sherpherd eat two thermacare heating pads…

Customer Question
One of my German...

One of my German sherpherd eat two thermacare heating pads my daughter was using on her lower back. It appears they found the pads on her bed. One or both dogs got sick and I am cleaning it up at the moment. One pile of food appeared to be very dark and the other two appeared normal in color.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Saner an Nova age 20 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Saber and nova is the second dog they are both young less than 20 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Saber?

No he is in good heallth.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
12/11/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Denise, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian

H​i, I'm Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns.

Do you know how long ago they chewed/ate the thermacare heating pad?

Are you absolutely certain only one dog ate it?

How much do the dogs weigh?

Not really sure but I belive Nova the female. But there were three areas where they got sick and their was a lot of food that came out so I am thinking maybe Saber the big male had some too.

Ok, these types of heat packs contain iron which can be toxic at high doses.

Since we are not certain which ate it and if either has fully emptied their stomachs, I recommend inducing them both to vomit.

Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

They will need about (30ml) - (approximately 1 ounce, or 2 Tablespoons each) of hydrogen peroxide orally.

Then walk them inside on a leash with a garbage bag to catch his vomit.

If he does not vomit within 10-15 min of the hydrogen peroxide, he can have a second dose.

It is important that he vomit to the point of dry heaving, to know that his stomach is empty.

saber about 40 kilos and Nova about 32 kilos

O​k, do you have hydrogen peroxide to induce them both to vomit?

My instructions are above.

A​ny success at inducing them to vomit?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Denise