Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Dog ate 1 metformin 1000mg. Maggie and 5-6 yrs. No she is…

Customer Question
Dog ate 1 metformin...

Dog ate 1 metformin 1000mg.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Maggie and 5-6 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?

No she is about 60lbs

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
12/11/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

30minutes

Got it, just typing out your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Metformin usually will not cause a drop in blood sugar in the dog like it does in people, but side effects can often occur such as lethargy, vomiting, and diarrhoea. As Maggie has swallowed 1000 mg these side effects could be quite distressing for her.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and recover the Metformin that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be fine. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK
{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. While there can be no guarantees in individual cases the good news is that as far as I am aware there are not any reported deaths even at very high doses in dogs which ingested metformin, but as I said distressing side effects are common.

4. Of course, if any serious adverse symptoms do set in then you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. However usually if you just support the dog these symptoms will pass in 24 - 48 hours in my experience. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Maggie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Maggie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Metformin incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?