Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 1 year old boston/chi mix got a bottle of ibuprofen while…

Customer Question
My 1 year old boston/chi...
My 1 year old boston/chi mix got a bottle of ibuprofen while I was out. Could have been up to a hour and a talk ago. He weighs about 10 lbs. What should I do? He only ate 1. All others found and accounted for.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
12/11/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your fellow ingested an Ibuprofen tablet when you were out.

1. How many milligrams was the tablet?
  2. Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?
  3. Is he taking any other medications?
  4. Is he a healthy pup?

From the ASPCA database:

◾25-125mg per kg of body weight – symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, stomach ulcers;

◾more than 175mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus blood in the stools, acute kidney failure;

◾more than 400mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus seizures, coma, disorientation;

◾more than 600mg per kg of body weight – death.

At 10 pounds he is 4.54kgs (2.2 pounds per kilogram) so a toxic dose of ibuprofen would be 113mgs.

That means if he ingested one 200mg tablet he ate enough to be toxic, possible symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, stomach ulcers.

This especially holds true IF he is taking any drugs that contain a steroid (prednisone, dexamethasone, Temeril-P) or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (Meloxicam, Carprofen or Deramaxx). If he is taking any of those drugs let me know as that would cause much worse toxicity symptoms.

You can give him 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight mixed with bread chunks or ice cream (1 tablespoons for a pup his size).

Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

If she vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if the pill pieces are present.

If you do not have peroxide available or he does not vomit then an emergency clinic visit is best.

If he vomits to try and decrease acid production in his stomach and lessen any possible symptoms you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers that are found over the counter at the drug store. I would give one of these for at least 7-10 days to avoid side effects, then they can be given as needed.

If his stomach seems at all upset to decrease the symptoms you can feed him a bland diet for the next several days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get in plenty of fluids. Feed small meals frequently.

Even if he vomits things to watch for that mean trouble include vomiting, especially blood tinged, dark, black or tarry stools, or frank blood in the stools, lack of an appetite, increased water consumption and urination.

If you cannot get him to vomit the pill however he needs to be seen at an emergency clinic.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian