Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 12 year old Yorkie has a swelling and redness to her

Customer Question
My 12 year old...

My 12 year old Yorkie has a swelling and redness to her vulva for about two weeks. She also has an enlarged inguinal lymph node that has been enlarged for about two years off and on. She has had two FNA biopsies of this LN and it was just a reactive LN. She does lick the vulva area often. What could this be? Could it be a yeast infection or vaginitis? How can you find out? It does not seem to be painful or bothering her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Laine

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Laine?

She has a diagnosis of chronic pancreatitis for several years and is on. Low fat GI diet.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
12/11/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. It sounds like she has some vaginitis, which is an infection in her vagina. They can get this for a number of reasons, it is fairly common in female dogs especially as they get older. I would recommend giving Benadryl (1mg/lb) to help reduce the inflammation and to help reduce her urge to lick at the area. The more she licks, the more bacteria she introduces to the region. There really isn't anything topically I would recommend, most dogs will lick off topical medications which isn't always good for them. I would recommend taking her to the vet to get an oral antibiotic. This will help clear things up the quickest. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katherine Schmidt