Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My St. Bernard was mated on October 4th, she has all he

Customer Question
My St. Bernard was...

My St. Bernard was mated on October 4th, she has all he signs of being pregnant, large vulva large leaking nipples. You can only tell she may be pregnant when she lies down. Idk if she's going though a phantom pregnancy or she is only having one or two puppies. I've been taking her temperature and it'll go from 100-100.4? I'm very confused

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
12/10/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dog.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

You may already know some of this but I'll include everything that you need to know to be complete.

Gestation in the dog is about 63-64 days counting from ovulation...not breeding dates which means that there could be a range of anywhere from 56-70 days from breeding before a mom delivers her puppies.

So, with the signs you've mentioned and the dates provided, she's either going through a false pregnancy or she only has a very small litter (1-2) to deliver and she's not quite ready yet. Without an x-ray at this point, it may be quite difficult to tell what's going on since dogs with either condition will act the same physically.

As to the temperature drop preceding delivery, this doesn't occur in all pregnant female dogs; it's basically a rough guideline for most. But, when it does decrease, it typically drops below 100 (often below 99F) about 10-14 hours before the first stage of labor.

I should mention that where there are singletons or very small litters involved, the normal stages of labor may not been seen; a c-section is often needed in these females to retrieve their puppies. The temperature drop may or may not occur and the first stage may be seen (panting, restlessness, disinterest in food, etc) but no puppies are delivered (stage 2).

I hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion. Deb