Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

We have a shihpoo. Earlier this week he was in that backyard

Hi, we have a shihpoo...
Hi, we have a shihpoo. Earlier this week he was in that backyard running and just stopped and started yelping really loud and limping. It was almost like he stepped on something but there was nothing in or on his paws. He limped for a few more minutes then was fine. Fast forward to this morning, he was outside, did his business, acting normal, came back inside, laid on the bed fell back asleep then all of a sudden he started yelping and shaking. Again we checked his paws rubbed his legs and he stopped. He is now acting fine. This has all just been this week. Never before. He turns 3 on 12/28. What could this be? I don’t want to put him through unnecessary testing. Thanks.
12/10/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What leg did he favour the first time? Was it the same this time?

If you feel up and down the leg, any swellings, tender spots, bruising, or bony crunching?

Anything different (wounds, sores, inflammation) between the toes and pads?

Any discomfort when you flex and extend each joint?

Any joint swellings or puffiness?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was his back leg earlier this week, he did not favor any leg or limp this morning as when he started yelping he was laying on the bed. I just rubbed up and down his legs and don’t feel anything abnormal. He also is not pulling jerking or yelping while I touch his legs or paws. Right now he is playing with our other two dogs on the bed. It’s weird.

Hello again,

Now to see intermittent pain reactions like this does raise a few concerns. Its good we can exclude dislocations, fractures, and severe spinal issues but with what we are seeing with Kramer we'd be wary of a strain/sprain, possible pinched nerve, or sometimes we can see this with early stage spinal/disc disease. Therefore, in his situation, even though he is playing we need to plan to rest him. Furthermore, we don't want to allow any jumping, stairs, and we'd want to only allow short lead walks to do his business a few times daily for the next week to give him proper rest time for any strains. As well, if he is amenable, you can consider massagging or warm compressing any suspect discomfort areas. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use).
As well, as long as he has no health issues, is on no other medication, you can choose to treat with a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/[email protected] http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin). Of course, this needs to be given after food and we'd want to double check with his vet if he has any known health issues or is on any other medication. And we'd want to discontinue treatment if he has any stomach upset or black stools with this.

Finally, if you rest him and try the above but we do see any more of these episodes, then we'd want to follow up with his vet. They can check spinal issues to be safe and potentially dispense dog safe pain relief/anti-inflammatory medication (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox, etc) to reduce any inflammation present and get him settled.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hi Chuck,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kramer. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian