Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My ruby rose started her first period heat and cries when

Good day...my ruby rose started...
Good day...my ruby rose started her first period heat and cries when urinating...i am very worried...please could you help
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No shes a rescue dog and a cross with a red nose bit bull
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Help please
12/10/2017
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.

A heat cycle does not cause a dog pain. The fact she is crying when urinating could be a sign of a Urinary Tract infection. I would increase her water intake if possible and give her a little diluted cranberry juice. Watch for her going to the bathroom and only producing small amounts of urine which can be another indication of a UTI, If the pain is bad and she is crying a lot we can look at giving some Plain buffered Aspirin 5 mg per pound every 12 hours with food.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your response.its after 5am and she has tried to pass urine twice and ran back inside cryin in pain
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She looks herself alot and right now looks very uncomfortable and afraid

Increase the fluids and start some diluted cranberry juice today. You can give the aspirin 5mg per pound of body weight and give it with food. This should help until she can see the Vet. The Aspirin is given every 12 hours. She will have to go on an Antibiotic and they will put her on pain medication. Let the Vet know you have given Aspirin. That is all you can do at home. I have a girl who has chrinic UTI's so I understand. Push fluids plain broth no onion or garlic and water it will help.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much Joan...how do i prevent this from happening again

You can try cleaning her with a wipe after urinating, make sure she drinks pleanty of fluids, other than that there is not much more to prevent it. Bacteria gets trapped and it causes the infection. The Vet will put her on an Antibiotic to help clear it. As I said give diluted Cranberry juice, push fluids and Aspirin for pain until you can see the Vet.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid until I have been rated positive.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech