Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 11-year-old pit/lab mix chewed open 2-3 vials liquid

Customer Question
Hello. My 11-year-old pit/lab...

Hello. My 11-year-old pit/lab mix chewed open 2-3 vials liquid albuterol sulfate (for my nebulizer). She has always had quite an appetite for plastic, and I thought the door was closed so that she couldn’t access these. She ate them on the bed, and the bed there was wet, so I surmise that at least most of the liquid spilled onto the bed. That being said, she is a little lethargic. Wouldn’t come when I called her to get a tiny piece of bread. Only ate the bits of bread when she knew our other dog was there and might get them. She is also a little uninterested in snuggling with me, which she often wants to do. The dosage is 0.3 ml per plastic vial.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Bing

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bing?

She weighs 50 lbs. We finished an extremely lengthy treatment for histoplasmosis approx one year ago

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
12/10/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

She is very sleepy and is breathing slowly, not rapidly

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bing. Significant clincial signs can arise after systemic administration of albuterol (including when dogs bite into an aerosol canister) and may include: arrhythmias (irregular heart rates), hypertension, fever, vomiting, mydriasis (wide open pupils), tremors, and central nervous system stimulation. Regretfully, decontamination when a dog bites into an aerosol canister is generally not effective. In order to determine if Bing needs to be treated, an on-call vet would need to carefully auscultate (listen to) Bing's heart, perform an EKG, and check for hypokalemia (decreased serum potassium level) and hypophophatemia (low serum phosphorus level). Treatment is supportive and symptomatic. Her behavior suggests that she should be attended to by an on-call vet at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

It was not an inhaler. It was a plastic vial of liquid of liquid.

Thank you. The same scenario as I posted above exists; in fact, it's more likely that she would be seriously intoxicated by a liquid rather than an aerosole. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

She seems to be shaking somewhat when breathing. Is it best to take her to emergency vet?

...another symptom of toxicity...time is of the essence; yes, an ER vet is needed