Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Has gain weight since Oct. Been thristy, heavy breathing,

Customer Question

Has gain weight since Oct. Been thristy, heavy breathing, hes potty train & i came home & looked like he peed on the carpet.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He used to have seizures
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: His last seizure was Aug . He hasnt had once since. Unless he has them while im at work. Hes a Australian Shepard 2 yrs old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Australian Shepherd.

Is he on any medication for his seizures?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

Increased thirst, and heavy breathing can be a sign of a condition called Cushing's disease, but that would not be common in a dog his age. It could be due to side effects of medication, so it will help to know if he is on any medications or supplements for his seizures.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I might start by having a urinalysis done by your veterinarian, to check for something like a UTI, urinary tract infection.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No the vet never put him on any pills
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am so sorry I was not online when you got back to me.

I would begin with a urinalysis, to see if he has a bladder infection causing him to urinate in the house. Blood tests might also be helpful in determining why he is thirsty.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; how is he doing?

Please let me know if this was helpful and what other questions I can answer.