Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

What is my vet referring to when he says that my male dogs…

Customer Question
What is my vet referring...
What is my vet referring to when he says that my male dogs urinary gland was cut during surgery?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
12/8/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. Can I get a little more background here? What is your dog's name? Did he have surgery to be neutered here recently? What surgery did he have?

My dogs name is ***** ***** he was 6 months old, he had foreign obstruction surgery and was released 15 hours after his surgery but passed away 3 days later at another vets clinic, when he was still alive but not doing well the vet attempted to save him with emergency surgery during this time he seen that tysons urinary glands had been cut and not sewn back up properly ultimately leading to massive infection and death

I'm very sorry to hear about this unfortunate loss of Tyson. When a foreign body surgery is done, the big potential complications are break down of the actual surgical site - where the stomach / intestines are incised to remove the foreign object. Some surgeries can be even more complicated if sections of intestine have to be removed and then two new portions re-attached. I'll be very honest and say that at my ER, we see the couple cases a year where a foreign body surgery has breakdown of the surgical area. This can be a fatal situation as once leakage starts, it can set up a bad infection in the abdomen. Also, it can be hard to recognize in the time when treating it can be done better. I would be curious if the second vet said that the original surgery site broke down and leaked setting up the infection. Could something else have been cut and leaked? The bladder can be inadvertently cut and leak urine into the abdomen but the bladder is typically no where near the area where the incision is being made in these cases and it is pretty low in the abdominal cavity.

There was no leaks but he did say that the incision was much to long and went way to far by his organs, the incision was 23 cm and went past his penis, he had 1 cut on each side of his penis that led to his main incision on his tummy, he did not need to have any intestines removed and he was released with no antibiotics only tramadol and fentanyl, this picture was the start of the swelling

Did they feel that the incision cut into the bladder? An incision can be made that extends from the abdomen to along the penis. This typically is done more when the bladder region is needing to be gained access too.

He said the incision cut into the urinary gland and that there is tiny veins located there that can be very hard to stitch up properly, so a specialist should have been called in to do the surgery. Tysons surgery he needed to push the obstruction into the stomach and then cut into the stomach to remove the obstruction that is what we were told he denies cutting into the urinary Tract.

There is some blood vessels that come along the front of the prepuce that are cut if the incision is extended from the abdomen back along the prepuce. This is something that can be cut and they don't have to be surgically tied together after the surgery. An incision that extends along the prepuce is something that is made in a lot of bladder surgeries as it provides better access. Making that incision through the skin / muscle to get into the abdomen doesn't require a specialist.

Tyson had staples in his prepuce

Skin staples can be used to close the skin. They are very commonly used as they provide typically good closure, good strength and the big reason they are used is that it speeds up closure to reduce the anesthesia / surgery time.

But I'm wondering what he meant by glands, is there some type of gland that runs through the urinary system that should not be cut ?

One of the glands that is associated with the urinary system is the prostate gland. It is inside of the body. It has the urethra running through it. It is near the neck of the bladder. There is the bulbourethral gland, which is at the very base of the penis. To be honest, these are very, very hard to "accidentally" cut.

If you look at the photo there is some type of pooling in the stomach, one opinion is that the pooling was urine due to where the cut was located, Tyson was able to pass urine fine when he came home but there was blood in it but the clinic that released him told me that is Normal after this surgery, is that normal ?

I wouldn't expect there to be blood in the urine after a surgery was done that was for a foreign body. There shouldn't have been any contact / cutting of the urinary system to cause blood in it.

I'm sorry again for your loss. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?