Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our 5 year old Affenpinscher started drooling suddenly at…

Customer Question
Our 5 year old...

Our 5 year old Affenpinscher started drooling suddenly at bedtime, she was fine one minute and now is a little skittish and just drooling so much she has soaked through her blanket

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name?

Stella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?

She vomited bile after the drooling started, not much and not unusual for her..

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
12/8/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 4 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Excessive saliva and gulping and licking his mouth are signs of mouth pain, nausea or sometimes a seizure. Check your dog’s mouth for tartar on the teeth, possibly red gums, darkened teeth, broken teeth or something caught between the teeth or gums. If you find something stuck, try and remove it. If it is bad teeth, you can give him Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen.

Check just under your dog’s jawbone for a swelling and under your dog’s tongue for a swelling. This is where some of your dog’s salivary glands are located. If you find a swelling here, it’s possible your dog has an accumulation of fluid near the salivary gland called a sialocele which is causing your dog to salivate more. This condition does require your dog to be seen as soon as possible. You can read about it here:

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/sialocele.htm

If you suspect it may be due to nausea you can try some Pepto-Bismol which can be given to a dog at 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds every 6 hours for upset stomach, gas, or diarrhea. It will help for stomach upset and the vomiting of bile. Since she did vomit, the drooling is likely from stomach upset. If your dog is uncomfortable, you should take her into the vet.

If it is possible that your dog ate something toxic such as chocolate, cocoa mulch, antifreeze, medications they will need to see a vet immediately.

You can read more about excessive salivation on the following website:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/ptyalism-hypersalivation-drooling-dogs/

I wished I could give you a definite answer but without a physical exam, it is impossible to tell you for sure. You might examine her teeth to ensure that isn't the issue. If it isn't try some pepto and offer her some boiled chicken and rice. Offer small amounts to start with. If she does well, then continue small amounts and gradually switch her back to her normal food.

Since vomiting bile is not unusual, there are several things you can do to help with that type of situation. You can give your dog some pepcid or Zantac. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Zantac can be given to a dog at .25 to 1mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Read about usage here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac

I'd start feeding your dog smaller meals 4 times a day taking up the food bowl afterwards. This way your dog will have food in its belly on a regular basis throughout the day. This will cut down on excess bile. I'd also add a spoonful of plain yogurt to your dog’s food 2-3 times a week to add good bacteria to your dog’s stomach to aid in digestion as well. The bland diet of boiled chicken and rice can be used for a few days.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.