Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

How much cetirizine can I give to my 32k black lab, Loki he…

Customer Question
How much cetirizine can...

How much cetirizine can I give to my 32k black lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Loki he is 16 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Loki?

He is biting his paws, licking his legs and chasing his tale

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
12/7/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Loki. For pruritis (itchiness) associated with atopic dermatitis (hypersensitivity to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.), based on one study, 1 mg per kg of body weight daily of ceterizine with or without food resulted in satisfactory control of pruritis in just 18% of dogs evaluated in the study.

He does sound as if he's atopic or food intolerant so I'll post my synopsis of these allergic dermatitises for you:

Environmental allergies (atopy) are usually initially addressed with prednisone as well. In some dogs an over the counter antihistamine such as clemastine (Tavist) at a dose of 0.025 - 0.75mg/lb twice daily or diphenhydramine (Benadryl) dosed at 1-2mg/lb twice daily (maximum dose of 50 mg at any one time) may be effective. Antihistamines, however, aren’t reliably effective. Adding fish oil to the diet at a dose of 20mg/lb daily of the EPA in the fish oil might synergize with antihistamines to provide better anti-pruritic action. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil are antiinflammatory but may take 8-12 weeks to kick in. The new cytokine antagonist oclacitinib (Apoquel) is likely to revolutionize how we address atopic dogs and should be discussed with Loki's vet. Oclacitinib works as well as a steroid without a steroid's adverse effects. The new injectable immunomodulary drug IL-31 (Cytopoint) should also be considered. Please note that atopy, at least initially, should have a seasonality to it while a food intolerance should cause pruritis regardless of the season. Chronically atopic dogs may be pruritic year round.

Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Loki's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra. (I prefer the hydrolyzed protein diets because it avoids the possibility of my patient being intolerant to even a novel protein.) A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.