Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I believe my small 15lb dog got into zzzquill. She threw up…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I believe...

Second opinion] I believe my small 15lb dog got into zzzquill. She threw up and instantly was unsteady and looked disoriented. I took her right into the vet, and they looked at her for 5 mins and said it was a seizer. It has been many hours later and she still isn't back to normal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Unsure. There is a slight chance she got into zzquil

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Sadie and 1

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?

She was perfectly healthy and normal before she threw up. It was very instant

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
12/7/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Drew, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian

Hi, I"m a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help!

ZZZquil has the active ingredient Diphenhydramine, which is generally fairly safe in dogs, but it can cause significant drowsiness, low blood pressure, or elevated heart rate in high doses. It can also cause mental disorientation or confusion.

Treatment is likely to be supportive / symptomatic - meaning, there's no antidote or reversal for it. It would not be unreasonable to consider hospitalizing such a patient for a day or 2 so that these symptoms can be managed closely.

If you're able to get Sadie to eat and drink, then it's likely she'll be fine with the passage of time.

Some dogs are more sensitive than others, to side effects of drugs, and so it may take a few days for her to return to normal.