Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I dropped a flexeril tablet on the floor and my 10 pound…

I dropped a flexeril...

I dropped a flexeril tablet on the floor and my 10 pound mini Aussie puppy swallowed it. What do I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Teddy he’s 8 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddy?

He’s very active and healthy

12/7/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. What is the strength of the Flexeril in mg?

10 mg of flexeril 5 minutes ago

Got it, please stand by for ten minutes or so while I look up the toxicity and type things up for you ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The toxic dose of Cyclobenzaprine { Flexeril } in the dog is said to be in the region of 0.3 mg or above per Kg of your dog's body weight and the amount Teddy took works out at 2.02 mg / Kg so side effects are possible. You have to act ...

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However, if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include depression, lethargy, incoordination, and weakness.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Teddy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Teddy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Flexeril issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott