Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate a home remedy for getting rid of rats. Mixed

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

My dog ate a home remedy for getting rid of rats. Mixed plastor of Paris and corn meal together and my dog got ahold of it. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Gibson and he is 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gibson?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
12/6/2017
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 6 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

There is no toxicity to worry about with plaster of paris.It can however cause some digestive upset, however the main concern is that it can become lodged in the stomach or intestines.

The best thing to do for now is to offer Pepcid AC. If you supply a weight I can give you a dosage.

The key is to monitor the passing of stools. Watch for any abdominal pain, bloating, and inabilty to pass stool. You should also watch for nausea and vomiting. All these can be an indication for a blockage. Hopefully in a few days it will all pass. You can feed canned food as well as a tablespoon of pure canned pumpkin to help the stool pass more easily.

Please hit reply to discuss this information or voice your concerns.

Joan

Did you have any questions or concerns? I am here to help.

Joan

How is your dog doing? Was the information helpful?

Joan