Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate Half of a Human Losartan 100 mg and a 1/2 of a…

Customer Question
My dog ate...

My dog ate Half of a Human Losartan 100 mg and a 1/2 of a melatonin 10 mg

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

ARLO ten

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about ARLO?

He has an enlarged heart

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
12/6/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds }?

30 min ago 9 lbs
No I don't want to talk on the phone. I just want a answer.

No problem with the phonecall, just typing up your answer now ...

Please hurry
I do not want to talk on the phone. Just type.

just doing the toxicity calculations now ...

Please stand by

No
Will this kill him ?
Not calling. Please send answer now. This sounds like a scam to get more money.

Hello again,

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below.

1. The melatonin is no problem, this is very non toxic to dogs. However the Losartan is another matter, this is a high dose for such a small dog and could cause the blood pressure to drop to dangerous levels.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However, if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include lethargy, drowsiness, sluggishness, loss of bladder control.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, si

Just checking in to see how things are going ...

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Losartan ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things went.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?