Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

How long after an incision infection does a puppy pass away?

If there is a problem after surgery, it usually takes 1-5 days for a dog to pass from an infection after surgery. It depends somewhat on how the dog was doing prior to surgery and if there was devitalized bowel prior to surgery.

Read full interaction below »

How long does it typically take for a puppy to pass away after foreign obstruction surgery due to an incision infection?

12/4/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian

Hello, if there is a problem after surgery, it usually takes 1-5 days for a dog to pass from an infection after surgery. It depends somewhat on how the dog was doing prior to surgery and if there was devitalized bowel prior to surgery.

What does devitalized bowel mean?

Devitalized bowel means dead bowel.

Tyson had no dead bowel. The vet had to push the obstruction back into the stomach and then cut open the stomach but something must have gone wrong because Tyson was pissing blood when he was released to me and the vet told me that was normal and it would stop on its own. He wasn't released with antibiotics and passed away 3 days after coming home.

I'm so sorry for your loss.