Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She ate malt extract, Shatzy age 12, Shatzy, Hx of

Customer Question
She ate malt extract ...

She ate malt extract

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Shatzy age 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Shatzy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shatzy?

Hx of pancreatitis

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
12/4/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Please don't be alarmed. Malt (sprouted grain) isn't toxic to dogs and doesn't predispose to pancreatitis as it's not considered a high-fat food. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Shatzy wasn't intoxicated. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Good. It was from my beer kit but no hops was ingested

Hops would also be well-tolerated! Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Then why does everything say that the hops is toxic to dogs. Even the packaging

You're correct. I misspoke. The hops plant contains an unknown toxin that can cause panting, hyperthermia, seizures, and death. I don't have information concerning the flowers of the plant (the hops) as to the concentration of that toxin, however. Mea culpa.

I found this: "Hops plugs (which typically are dried) tend to be more toxic than hops pellets."

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian