Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has an abscess he is going back to vet tomorrow to be…

Customer Question
My dog has an...

My dog has an abscess he is going back to vet tomorrow to be sedated is there anything I can give him he is so sad with what I’m assuming is pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

In his mouth his name is ***** ***** is 8 a 65 kg rottweiler

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?

Nope other than this which we feel is from eating a sharp thin dog treat

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
12/4/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.
If you have a human or canine narcotic at home please let me know and I’ll see if I can give you a dose for it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?