Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My yorkie has a bump beside his anus. We just noticed it…

Customer Question
My yorkie has a...

My yorkie has a bump beside his anus. We just noticed it today but he is very sensitive to it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

You My yorkie has a bump beside his anus. We just noticed it today but he is very sensitive to it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

The bump

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Just the lump

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

It's visible

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Maverick he is almost 8

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
12/3/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is there anything draining from the bump?

Does the skin seem to be inflamed or developing a sore over the bump?

Is it possible for you to take a picture of the area and post it or attach it to your next message?

Thanks for the information and pics. It is difficult to appreciate a swelling from the pictures, but if there is a swelling where the discoloration is, he most likely has an anal gland abscess. You can have anal gland tumors, but those usually aren't painful. A hernia in that area can be painful, but it usually doesn't cause that discoloration. An abscess is the cause that usually shows both of those symptoms. There is not a lot you can do for an anal gland abscess at home because warm compresses over the area, but that is more to try to get it to open up and drain (it is less painful that way). Your vet needs to do a thorough rectal exam to make sure it is an abscess, open and drain it, clean it out and put him on antibiotics and some pain medications to get it healed. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Maverick is doing and to see if you have any other questions.