Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

When I made my two dog one large and one small dog their…

Customer Question
Second opinion] When I...

Second opinion] When I made my two dog one large and one small dog their supper I blended a clove of garlic in their vegetables and mixed in their raw dog food. Then after the ate it not all of it though it occurred to me that garlic might not be good for dog so I looked it up and now I'm freaking out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Our big guy is Marley he is about 95 lbs and 9 years old our little dog Holly is about 15-20 lbs and 3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Marley and Holly

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Marley?

Not he's and older dog but in very good shape

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
12/3/2017
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 35+ years. I would be happy to assist you.

You are correct that both onions and garlic can be toxic to Pets. If ingested in excess they can cause Hemolytic Anemia. In this case I do not think either dog was exposed to enough Garlic to cause a problem by feeding it this one time. I would not continue to use Garlic in the Diet and I do suggest before adding anything new to check and see if it is listed on the toxicity list:

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/people-foods-avoid-feeding-your-pets

If you are still concerned about this, you can have the dogs in to have a Blood test, but in my opinion this one time event should not cause a problem.

Please hit reply tp discuss this information and your concerns. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I get a positive rating.

Joan