Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

When I made my two dog one large and one small dog their…

Customer Question
When I made my...

When I made my two dog one large and one small dog their supper I blended a clove of garlic in their vegetables and mixed in their raw dog food. Then after the ate it not all of it though it occurred to me that garlic might not be good for dog so I looked it up and now I'm freaking out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Our big guy is Marley he is about 95 lbs and 9 years old our little dog Holly is about 15-20 lbs and 3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Marley and Holly

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Marley?

Not he's and older dog but in very good shape

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
12/3/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Pleae don't be alarmed. It takes quite a bit of garlic to intoxicate a dog. For example, dogs given an extract equivalent to 5 grams of whole garlic per kg of body weight every day for 7 days develop anemia 9-11 days after dosing. You can see that there's no question that a 95 lb dog would remain safe. Even a 15 lb (7 kg) dog would have needed to ingest over an ounce of pure garlic to become intoxicated. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Marley and Holly will remain safe. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

OK I'm here.

Our messages crossed. Please see my post timestamped 9:03 PM (my time).

Hello?

Can you see my post timestamped 9:03 PM (my time)?

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?