Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He has suddenly gotten a mass of swelling under his jaw.

Customer Question
He has suddenly gotten...

He has suddenly gotten a mass of swelling under his jaw

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Bandit. 9 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bandit?

He has always been extremely healthy. He is a red heeler

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
12/2/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 9 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

This could be swollen lymph gland, abscessed tooth or possibly an salivary gland problem depending on where on the neck it is. Usually with a salivary gland problem you will also see excessive drooling.

Swollen lymph nodes can be due to many causes including infections, autoimmune diseases, fungal and bacterial infections and lymphoma (cancer). You can read about the lymphatic system in the dog here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/structure-and-function-of-the-lymphatic-system-in-dogs/page2.aspx

An abscessed tooth can sometimes cause lumps or swelling of the muzzle or jaw and upper neck. You will want to check your dog’s mouth and look for any broken or discolored teeth. If you find any, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain until your dog can be seen by your Vet. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen.

Check just under your dog’s jawbone for a swelling and under your dog’s tongue for a swelling. This is where some of your dog’s salivary glands are located. If you find a swelling here, it’s possible your dog has an accumulation of fluid near the salivary gland called a sialocele which is causing your dog to salivate more. This condition does require your dog to be seen as soon as possible. You can read about it here:

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/sialocele.htm

At this age, he likely has a tooth issue so check his teeth well.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

He isn't drooling. We don't have any emergency vet facilities by us. He won't be able to be seen until Monday morning. So it is okay to give him bayer aspirin for pain?

Buffered aspirin is ok for pain byt ibkt fir a few dats,

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.