Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She's a Rottweiler Shepherd mix she's almost 15 years old…

Customer Question
She's a Rottweiler Shepherd...

She's a Rottweiler Shepherd mix she's almost 15 years old she had a tumor removed from her leg and August and yesterday she tore the ACL on that leg unfortunately the other leg is also bad due to arthritis and everything else so her now good leg is also bad

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Her name is ***** ***** spent four and a half hours at the veterinary ER yesterday but she's 85 lb and she doesn't realize she's 14 and a half and needs to be down she wants to keep trying to go

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harley?

She also has a doubled math growing in either her liver or her spleen

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
12/2/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How can I best assist you today?

What can I do to help her begin to recover from this at her age? She's on medication and I've been keeping her resting but I can't even pick her up to take her outside to potty or anything she doesn't want to get up at this point cuz she knows it hurts

What supplements or medication is she receiving at this time?

Is she on any protocol for her arthritis?

She is currently on gabapentin Tramadol and carprofen
she was also taking a livaplex as a supplement but she refuses to take it now

I do not see any information about a joint supplement, which would be highly recommended at this point. If she is not on one, I would recommend looking at http://www.glycoflex.com and also discussing adequan with your vet. She will need to have her joints as healthy as possible if the ACL is not going to be repaired surgically.

If she is refusing to rise due to pain , I would contact your vet and discuss increasing her dosage of tramadol and gabapentin. At her size, she is going to have to get up and walk in order for her treatment to be successful. Once the right dosage is reached to give her pain relief, you can look at leg braces that can help stabilize the knee in the affected leg. This is a company I have used in the past with just such a brace: https://orthopets.com/products/dog-knee-brace/

If pain relief cannot be reached and she continues to refuse to rise and walk, her quality of life needs to be considered and euthanasia may need to be discussed. I recommend to everyone that when considering euthanasia they do the following: Make a list of 10 things that your pet enjoyed doing when they were young. Perhaps that was chasing toys, visiting new people, etc. Now mark off all of the things that your pet can no longer do consistently due to age or illness. Once you're down to 5, it's time to discuss euthanasia and once 2-3 items remain, it's time to have the procedure performed.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I don't feel you gave me any new or helpful information. My dog is up and moving again and is still joyful