Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is acting dizzy. She is walking side ways like she is…

Customer Question
My dog is acting...

My dog is acting dizzy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

Hi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

She is walking side ways like she is dizzy or drunk

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes nothing

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** is a yorkie that is 5 years old

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Can you call
Should I make her throw up
I believe she may have eaten some of my vomit last night
12/1/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 4 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Are your dog’s eyes moving back and forth?

Is your dog standing with its legs further apart then normal?

Is your dog holding its head at a tilt? Is your dog nausea or eating less?

She is holding her head a tilt and when she is still it's moving in a circle.
I belive she ate some throw up of mine during the night I was intoxicated
She did just eat some turkey and she is walking the floor

Hi again,

It’s possible your dog is suffering from vestibular disease. Symptoms include standing with legs spread out, swaying, head tilt, abnormal eye movement, walking sideways, falling over and may include vomiting. There are a few things that can cause this condition such as an ear infection, some medications and old age. Have your Vet check your dog for this condition.

Here are some great sites on this condition:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html

The good news is that if this is the problem and it is due to old age, the condition normally resolves itself over a few weeks. Your vet will most likely prescribe dramamine or bonine to help with the symptoms. You can read about dramamine and bonine usage, precautions and dosage here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dimenhydrinate-dramamine

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/meclizine-bonine-antivert

By now any affects alcohol would have had on her would be gone, so it is unlikely that is the cause at this point. I'd watch for any ear scratching that might point to an ear infection. If none, then I would think about a vet visit to determine if vestibular is the issue.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.