Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She's overate without me knowing not sure if she's okay not…

Customer Question
She's overate without me...

She's overate without me knowing not sure if she's okay not sure what to do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Got hold of the food off the side and over ate

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Luna and 5 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luna?

Not that I know off no

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
12/1/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 6 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

When a dog overeats, you need to watch for bloat. Some breeds with large chests are prone to this condition. At this point, it is probably just that she over ate. You want to keep her calm and inactive as possible to help prevent bloat (stomach twisting). With over eating, I would keep an eye on her for bloat. Common symptoms are attempts to vomit (usually unsuccessful) and may continue to try to vomit, dog just doesn't seem like themselves, a hunched up posture, anxiety and restlessness, a distended stomach that is tight like a drum, gums may be dark red in early stages and white or blue in later stages. These are the most common symptoms and the list goes on. If you believe your dog has bloat they should be seen immediately.

Simethicone products like gas-x may help while you take her into the vet if she should start displaying symptoms of bloat. You can read more on bloat here.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

I would limit water intake and activity to reduce the chance of bloating. Be sure to walk her on a leash so she isn't running around. I would not give her additional food until tomorrow and then keep her on a bland diet like boiled chicken and rice for a day or so. There isn't anything you can do to "push" the food through. All you can do is minimize the chance that the overeating causing a problem. She should be fine, just keep her from moving around too much.

.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.