Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 3yr old wets the bed occasionally in her sleep, the urine…

Customer Question
My 3yr old wets...

My 3yr old wets the bed occasionally in her sleep, the urine is clear and has no odor. My dog gets embarrassed when this happens and runs outside and hides, even though I Never get aftet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

My dog's name is ***** ***** she is an Antonlonia Shepherd.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Coco?

3yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?

She is on an hydrolyzed protein diet

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/30/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Coco. Is she spayed, please?

Thank you. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow my speaking to customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish. Please let me know if you'd rather I opted out for another expert who might be allowed to use the phone.

No, this is fine

Thank you. Give me a moment to type up my response...

Urethral incompetence - weak urethral musculature - most commonly causes the urinary incontinence you're seeing. It's more common in large breed spayed dogs and is addressed with an estrogen such as DES or estriol, or the sympathomimetic drug PPA. The presence of infection needs to be ruled out prior to initiating therapy because a urinary tract infection is a common cause of incontinence in any dog. Coco's vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis (percutaneous aspiration of the bladder through the abdominal wall) which is the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine and then perform a complete urinalysis looking for the tell-tale signs of infection - bacteria, and/or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells. Please continue on in our conversation if you wish.

Ok, thank you so much. So the best to do is take her to her vet and have them do a couple of test and there is med for her condition

You're quite welcome. Yes, yes, and yes! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?