Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our 9 month old puggle is normally active and adorable.

Customer Question
Our 9 month old...

Our 9 month old puggle is normally active and adorable. Suddenly on Sunday he started acting really strangely. Jumped at everything, couldn’t touch him. Almost like he was spooked at something. Constantly paced the floor, head down and then would suddenly jump back. Couldn’t touch him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Then yesterday he vomited heavily about five times. He also yesterday peed and pooed inside twice. Unheard from him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Sorry not sure if you got the first bit where he has been really weird since Sunday. Only 9 months old. Spooked, not socialising with our other two 8 month pups who he adores. Don’t think he ate anything unusual although he will eat anything and everything!

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

His name is Rocky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?

He seems to be frightened of everything. Won’t cross cracks in floor or bits of fluff will frighten him. Completely different dog since Sunday evening.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
11/28/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

He started acting very strangely on Sunday evening, nothing unusual had happened. Jumped out of his skin, couldn’t be touched etc. didn’t want to play with other two pups who he loves. Suddenly yesterday he vomited heavily and now has very loose stools. He had a few veggies with his kibble on Tuesday about 4.45 and was throwing up badly by 9pm.
He never toilets in the house but Tuesday morning and evening he just went everywhere. Almost too scared to use doggie door or go outside. Although did go for walk.

The strange behavior you're seeing may well have been a precursor to the vomiting you've witnessed. He may also develop diarrhea in the days to come.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Any ideas what might be going on?

Did my reply come through above re: treating a GI upset?

No haven’t any answers. Don’t want a live chat, thanks, ***** *****

The vomiting etc is a secondary issue, the problems started on Sunday when he completely changed, pacing, head down , panic stricken, frightened of everything!
Does anyone know why my young pup has suddenly changed.

Vomiting does not typically happen due to the original symptoms you mentioned. I suspect that whatever originally caused the symptoms has now developed in to vomiting. Sometimes we never learn why a companion is experiencing odd symptoms. I would urge you to start with treatment of the vomiting and see if the other symptoms resolve. If they do not, you have reason to have your vet perform an evaluation. At 9 months of age there are a wide variety of conditions which can plague puppies from parvo to distemper and intestinal parasites, etc. These can cause the pet to feel unwell, not wanting to be handled and avoiding contact such as being jumpy. The constant pacing of the floor with his head down may also be a sign of nausea. Additionally, though he's a bit young for such a condition, we can see pain in the back and neck. If this might be the case for him, diagnostics like x-rays of the entire spine may be needed for diagnosis.

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
We took him to our trusted vet who was also flummoxed but gave meds for the GI, took bloods etc. it was a toxin and more than likely a red back spider bite which is why he couldn’t handle being touched anywhere on his body. He is very much better but still very wary of anything on the floor or couch! He jumps back or barks. Hopefully he will regain his confidence. Thank you for your advice.