Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is seeming like she wants to throw up, I noticed that…

Customer Question
My dog is seeming...

My dog is seeming like she wants to throw up, I noticed that in the back yard there was a dog food bag she got a hold of and looks like she ate some of it, that was yesterday AM she has been acting like she wants to throw up but no change in eating habits or activity

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Lucy and she is 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?

No she is acting perfectly normal barking at the neighbors and running around she is not coughing constantly she does it about every 3 to 4 hours..she went through the night fine til this am she had an episode for bout 5 min and has been fine for about 2 hrs now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
11/28/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. G., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear Lucy is having this problem. I will need a little more information to better help you:

What is she doing as far as the trying to throw up: is she retching or gagging, or is she coughing?

Has she eaten anything today?

What color are her gums: pink, pale/white, red, etc.?

Sounds like she is gaging, like when humans try and get flem out of their chest when sick
Yes she ate her breakfast this morning and drank water
Her gums are pink

I see. Does her belly seem sensitive or uncomfortable when you put pressure on it?

No I was petting her belly like normal

Has she had this problem in the past?

If you put pressure on her neck (bottom/underside of her neck), does she start coughing?

Is she acting normal otherwise?

How often is she doing the gagging? every couple hours? Every 20 minutes? once a day?

She has cough stuff up before and I you notice usually when she's rip something up in the backyard. I put pressure I was even massaging it her neck and there was no coughing or anything. She did it yesterday morning and then did it again around 8 p.m. last night she was fine through the night when I let her out this morning she did it again but not till she was outside
Usually after she gets it up the first time she stops
Yeah she's acting perfectly normal except for when she looks like she's trying to throw up after she does cough a little bit up it's usually kind of clear she goes back to being her normal self

I see. My biggest concern is that she has a food bloat. This is where the stomach gets very full of food and can lead to retching and gagging. This is different from a gastric dilatation volvulus (GDV), which is where the stomach twists. If this was my dog, I would take her to the vet today to get x-rays. There is something going on in the belly and you need to find out if this is just a bad upset stomach vs a food bloat vs something else like a foreign object in the GI tract.

Ok thank you

You are very welcome. I wish you both the best.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.