Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She's a Yorkie who developed a skin condition that causes…

Customer Question
She's a Yorkie who...

She's a Yorkie who developed a skin condition that causes her to scratch frequently and lick the site to the point where she had lost a patch of hair

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

I took her to a vet when I saw she was losing her hair. She said she had mange but did a skin scraping anyway. It came back neg for mites.She gave me Malaseb shampoo which helped for one day then not !!

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Luci Mae and she's approx 3 - she is a rescue dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

The skin prob began immediately after I took her to the groomer on June.The groomer shaved her hair off leaving skin patch exactly where Luci began itching and losing hair

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
11/28/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 7 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

So in June your dog was shaved. Was one part shaved too close or was it burned and that is what you mean by leaving skin patch?

Does she just itch there or all over?

Is the hair loss there or everywhere?

Is she losing hair in the dark areas of her hair?

Was a new product used on her at the groomers?

Have you changed foods or cleaning products in the home?

Is the skin dark in that area?

Hi again,

I waited for about an hour last night to see if you were going to respond. Today I see you submitted another question with a little different of a question and some questions about the charges. Here is the information from you second question...

I took Luci to the vet 2 times. She said Luci had mange.She took skin scraping.Came back negGave me Malaseb shampoo which worked for one day.Was too time consuming.Then I went back complaining that the hair loss was increasing. The vet gave me Cefpodoxime 50mg daily. Luci still itch and scratches. Then I went to my Dr and got Permethrin 5% cream. I understand that scabies is a type of dog mange. What I need to know is how much I can use, how often and will it be toxic to her of she licks the site. Luci is a licker.

I can not comment on charges as experts are not involved in that side of Just Answer. That said do you still want to continue and get more information on your question?

If so I do want to clarify what has happened so far. Your groomer cut the dog's hair off and your dog started itchingand scratching and biting. She started losing her hair there. The first time, the vet said mange but tests revealed NO mange mites and you were given Malesab, on a subsequent visit you were given an antibiotic for her to take. Then it sounds like you went to your Doctor and not the vet and got Permethrin 5% cream to use. You mention Scabies. Did your Doctor state you had Scabies or just tell you the dog had scabies? I'm sorry that you were unable to get back to this spot earlier and hope I can help you with this issue now.
Hi Jane, glad to be talking to you now.It was way past my bedtime. The groomer gave her a summer cut but shaved too closely at lft hind thigh and side an area about 1 1/4" × 1 1/4". Now it's 4 1/2" × 2" approx. Yes she started soon after the grooming to lick and nibble the area as if picking at fleas many times during the day. You are correct. I read that there are 2 types of mange; one is similar to human mange and is contagious. I hurried to my PCP, informed her of the issue and she gave me the Permethrin 5% cream for my use . I've read that vets use 10% Permethrin for fleas ticks mange etc; which is why I've contacted you.The info would not specify dosage amts .