Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He is a 14yr old welsh springer spaniel. He has soars that…

Customer Question
He is a 14yr...

He is a 14yr old welsh springer spaniel. He has soars that look like welts in the groin area. His skin on back and sides is dry and has crusty white patches on the skin and when they come off it appears the skin and hair come off too. He has allergies so his nose and eyes run and it gets crusty stuff on eyes, chin and sides of mouth. Leo is lethargic has arthritis. His eyes have cataracts. He doesn’t hear well and seems to get lost or bewildered and confused. He also has a large lump on his lower back.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He is still eating and drinking. His bowels are fine and he doesn’t have trouble urinating. He takes medication for allergies and arthritis. He is always up to date on his shots, frontline and heart gard. We also use a medicated cream antibacterial.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
11/28/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Leo. You've noted quite a few geriatric signs - arthritis, cataracts, deafness, and evidence of cognitive dysfunction (senility). Regretfully, we're not going to be able to address all of these disorders successfully but we might be able to improve his comfort by addressing his skin condition properly. Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation - particularly the welts in the groin area? You can do so by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing. Please check that photo(s) are in focus before uploading them.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian