Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Won't bear weight on her front left leg. She won't bear

Customer Question
Won't bear weight on...

Won't bear weight on her front left leg.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She won't bear weight on her front left leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

In the middle joint. Not her Shoulder or paw.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dog's name and age?

Elvira, 1 yr.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elvira?

Chocolate lab bulldog mix

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
11/28/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Beth, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I'm sorry Elvira is having some trouble with her leg, did this just start today?

Is she licking anywhere on her leg?

Started yesterday am. No licking

Is she putting any weight on it today or still completely holding up?

Completely holding it up.

Poor girl, that definitely is more concerning with this going on for more than 24 hours, and to the degree that she is completely holding it up vs at least some toe touching. There are of course many things that cause limping, and unfortunately they cannot tell us what happened, but more severe injuries like a dislocation or broken bone tend to correlate with not bearing any weight. Usually mild things like sprains/strains, they will walk on it at least a little.

Is she on any medications regularly?

Also, if you know her approximate weight, I can tell you how much of a pain reliever like Tylenol you could try for a dose or 2 until you get into your regular vet (assuming she is not on any other meds), but that would really be the best thing, to get her evaluated in person.

85 lbs. Taking her to the vet on Sat morning.

So for her size, you could give her a 500mg tablet of Tylenol or generic acetominophen every 12 hours, more info here: https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/acetaminophen-tylenol-for-dogs/

I would not expect her to be putting full weight on her leg with this, but generally they hold it up due to pain, and this should give her some pain relief - it is a pretty narrow dose for the range of safety so I would not give her more than this.

Depending on what your vet finds on exam +/- xrays, they may prescribe a different pain medication or an anti-inflammatory like steroids, but the tylenol will not interact with anything your vet would prescribe.

If you were able to get her in sooner, that would be ideal, but at least this would be something to tide her over a bit on the meantime.

Does that help for something to try?

I hope that helps, if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If anything seems to be worsening with your pet’s condition, especially any breathing difficulty, it is never overly cautious to seek medical attention at an emergency hospital, check for closest to you at vetlocator.com .

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not response time or any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800