Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Last night, my dog threw up a small piece of plastic or

Customer Question
Okay so last night...

Okay so last night, my dog threw up a small piece of plastic or rubber. it’s a little bit flexible, but still hard and it had jagged edges but they aren’t all that sharp. i held on to the piece of plastic just in case i need to end up taking her to the vet. anyway, when she vomited, there was nothing else there besides the plastic and a spot of bile about the size of the palm of your hand. she lives with me in my dorm on a college campus and i keep a VERY close eye on her, but we just went home for the thanksgiving holiday and there is no telling what she could have gotten ahold of back home. she hasn’t eaten much since she threw up the first time, but that isn’t too unusual for her as she only eats one bowl of food one time a day (i put more out for her, she just doesn’t eat it). she hasn’t thrown up anymore but she has been coughing and since it was last just last night, she hasn’t pooped so i can’t examine her stool. should i take her to the vet now, or is there anything i can do for her to help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bambi, she’s 2 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bambi?

She’s a very healthy dog and has never had any health problems.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/27/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How often does the coughing happen?

Can you share a video of the coughing? If not, does it look and sound like any of these?

Cardiac cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv02RYW2TfY

Kennel cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZusGtj3NxcU

Collapsing trachea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042OsjZ5Hvs

Reverse sneezing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

Laryngeal paralysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsv5o3pP00E

the coughing doesnt sound like any of those, and it happens so rarely that it would be hard to get a video of it. she coughs for about 30 seconds every few hours and it is a dry cough, like her throat is irritated. i gave her a fresh bowl of water this morning but she hasn’t touched it.

If the coughing persists, I do think you have good reason to have an examination performed. Since she has vomited up plastic and has not consumed the water you've provided, she may be nauseated. I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?