Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog seems to be grunting or moaning a lot. He's a 9 year…

Customer Question
Hi, my dog seems...

Hi, my dog seems to be grunting or moaning a lot. He's a 9 year old chocolate lab, it started a while ago. But it doesn't seem to be changing anything about his behaviour and still likes to play a lot. Should I be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

The only problem he has had has been with his nails. They used to fall off, they haven't in a while but he did crack a nail. But the moaning and grunting started before that. He's not on any medication or supplements.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
11/27/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of what you're seeing?

When does this typically happen? morning? night? following food? following play?

I don't have a video right now but I can take one in a couple of hours when I get off of work. It happens when he's pretty much only when he's laying down. It's almost like a sigh or moan that he keeps doing. But there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him other than the noises.

That would be perfect.

Does he do this when he's IN the laying down position only or are you seeing it following him laying down and relaxing?

When he lays down to relax or cuddle up he will make the noise non stop. It's only gone when he sits up or stands up. He's not lethargic but lately he's been digging his nose in behind me if I am sitting on the couch or he tries to climb behind me. Which has only started in the last few days, which is what prompted the concern.

Certainly any change in behavior is warranting of our attention, as owners. Please send the video along whenever you're able and I'll take a look. I will be signing off shortly so I will likely reply in the morning.

Ok thanks I will upload it tonight

You're welcome. I'll be on the lookout.