Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She's making a honking cough sound!? I've rubbed her throat.

Customer Question
Hi! She's making a...

Hi! She's making a honking cough sound!? I've rubbed her throat. It's not constant but it is scary sounding. She is eating and drinking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Apple, she is a Japanese chin. She will be 2 February 15

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Apple?

She's a happy healthy dog upto date on all shots etc

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
11/27/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Apple has this problem, hopefully this is something very minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Where these sort of symptoms are sudden onset I would not be at all surprised if your dog is not suffering from an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. However where a dog is retching like that other diagnosis are certainly possible but from your description, it does sound a bit like kennel cough. Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

As kennel cough would be a " front-runner " I will tell you what I know about it ...

2. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough/retch that these dogs have - a bit like a cat trying to shift a hairball or a seal honk.

3. The affected dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it may be productive, she will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once she has done this she will settle down for a bit. This, however, is a repeated cough/retch which just keep happening.

4. If kennel cough is the diagnosis then it is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however, antibiotics will speed up recovery and make her feel better very quickly. For this reason if symptoms continue my advice would be to have your vet check your dog over at the next opportunity and of course this is a wise move as other diagnoses are always possible. In the meantime something like Robitussin-DM { Dextromethorphan } which you can buy over the counter may help with the symptoms, please follow this link for an accurate article on how this drug is used in dogs including dose rates. : LINK

But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Apple's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Apple is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect kennel cough ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?