Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dogs eyes are very red and swollen, she was fine

Customer Question
My dogs eyes are...

My dogs eyes are very red and swollen, she was fine yesterday when I left for work and now she can hardly open her eyes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Lilly and she’s 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lilly?

No ma’am

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
11/27/2017
Dog Specialist: Scott Perry, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that has been assigned to your question. I understand Lilly's eyes are red and swollen. I am sorry to hear about that. This can be caused by a few different reasons. The most common is allergies. There is treatment for that. Does Lilly appear painful if you press on the eyes? This is called retropulsion and is a subjective test for glaucoma.

she squealed whenever I tried to look at them

This picture gives you an idea of what retropulsion looks like: http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/sites/default/files/article_images/2016/04/ASK_Diagnosing-Canine-Exophthalmos_Fig2.png

They’re more of a bloodshot and watery, with like a mucks discharge coming out
Also the tear duct is red and is kinda pink and puffy around her eye
I just thought it was weird because her brothers fine and they’re both the same age and eat the same dog food

Thank you for that information. Allergic conjunctivitis is a common cause for redness in the eyes and can be safely treated with an over-the-counter antihistamine eye drop used for people. Zaditor is a medication commonly sold at regular human pharmacies. I recommend to consider using that as a medication option and apply 1-2 drops in both eyes every 12 hours. If it is an allergy then you should see an improvement within 24 hours. If the redness continues then you will want to have the eyes tested by a veterinarian. Using an antihistamine eye drop will not be harmful if it is caused by something like glaucoma.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Do you have any other questions about Lilly? I am still standing by.