Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My female dog is in heat and we tried to keep her separate…

Customer Question
My female dog is...

My female dog is in heat and we tried to keep her separate until her heat cycle is over but my male dog broke through a door and I caught them tied but as soon as I said no to the male dog they separated really quickly and he ran off. She is only 6 months and I don't want her to be pregnant because I have heard it might kill her, and we also just didn't want her pregnant to begin with.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Not really

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
11/26/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

A tie involves the male being stuck inside of the female for a prolonged period of time. Did this occur or did he simply penetrate her?

What breed of dog is your female and what breed is your male?

Is there any reason why your female cannot be spayed, such as a medical condition?

They were tied, I'm not sure for how long. My make dog is a pit/Coonhound and so is my female dog. They haven't been spayed or neutered because my car wouldn't do it until they had their 3rd rounds of shots, they have them now but they won't let us spay her until her heat cycle has been over for 3 months.
They are only about 6 months old
My vet* not car

Ties usually last 15-20 minutes, so it's likely with you reprimanding him that they were near the end of the tie anyhow. It is possible for a 6 month old puppy to impregnate another 6 month old puppy. I would phone your vet tomorrow and let them know that this tie occurred. If they are unwilling to spay her and you do want her spayed, I would look to have her spayed elsewhere before development of the pregnancy can occur (they may wish to wait until she's outside of her heat cycle to minimize bleeding risk). You can also have a mis-mate injection administered if your vet offers it. This will keep the pregnancy from developing, as well, and allow the female to leave her heat cycle naturally. Since they've both been successful at breeding once, having them both altered before her next cycle would be recommended.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Hi Alexis,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is your companion feeling today?