Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Pet chiweenie started yelping when touched or even if

Customer Question
Pet chiweenie started yelping...

Pet chiweenie started yelping when touched or even if someone moves close to her last night. She is eating and drinking. She is 8 yrs old. She can walk although gingerly and is able to walk up and down steps more slowly than usual. I’ve checked her all over to figure out where exactly she hurts but it seems to be in different places each time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Ellie Mae

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ellie?

I’m not sure if she has a fever-seems a little warm. She doesn’t want to be left alone-lays very close to me. Her eyes look clear and her breathing is normal. She was having itching problems and I was giving her homeopet skin and itch drops (for about 2 weeks) and the itching has improved. I had her wearing a KONG soft cone collar to keep her from itching and chewing herself. My younger chiweenie would pull it off of her when they were outside.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/26/2017
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

I am not set up to make a phone call but hopefully I can give you information here.

You mention that she yelps when people approach her and that she is walking, but gingerly. This is a good sign of a intervertebral disc disease. Dogs with this will ask for comfort on their own terms (as she will lay close to you) , they fear the human moving them or picking them up because it is painful. Some dogs will hide under furniture to keep from being touched. Some dogs walk gingerly, with an arched back, or with a limp. Many times they become reluctant to jump or off of furniture.

What happens with this is that the soft tissue that cushions the discs in the bac,k suddenly turns hard and presses on the nerve, at times causing pain. Generally strict cage rest and outing for potty breaks only are recommended.

You may want to try giving her a baby aspirin if she is not on other medications such as Rimadyl or other NSAIDS. The aspirin can help reduce the swelling that causes the pain.

I would suggest, that because aspirin should not be given regularly or stomach ulcers can form, that you see your Veterinarian on Monday to get a safer non steroidial medication and some pain medication.

In some cases the pain meds alone may not work and the dog may have to go on steroids for a short time.

Here is more on IVDD which can happen in the neck or lower spine area.

neck area https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-in-the-cervical-area-in-dogs/

Lower spine https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-in-the-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/

Here is dosing for aspirin and side effects. Give with food and do not give Tylenol or Ibuprofen type products.

aspirin http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant