Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

We have a husky mix that was rescued from a hoarding

Customer Question
Hi we have a...

Hi we have a husky mix that was rescued from a hoarding situation. Weve had her six months. She is skittish but otherwise seems happy and loves our other dog. When ever there is a household change, we have a guest stay or there is a dog sitter, she will skip a meal. Shes fed twice a day. But now, after the mild craziness of thanksgiving shes on her 3rd day of not eating and throwing up bile. Should i be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Just a litlle cooked turkey my brother-in-law gave her otherwise just her normal treats. Yesterday all she had was one chicken wrapped sweet potato treat and chewy dentallife treat. But she refuses her mealtime food

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Shes about 2.5 years old and they have a big yard to play in but ive never sen her eat any animals like my other dog does

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
11/26/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. If this was something that just went on for 24-36 hours, I wouldn't be as concerned. Given that it has been 3 days, and she is vomiting, I would be concerned that something more serious is going on than just anxiety. I cannot rule that out, but it is possible that she may even have a pancreatitis or foreign body obstruction from something she ingested. I would try to get her in to see a vet as soon as possible. If she is vomiting often, is very lethargic or seems painful or uncomfortable if you press into her abdomen from both sides at the same time; I would get her in today to be seen by an emergency vet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

The thing is she will eat her treats, little hambuerger bits and chicken wrapped sweet potato. Also no response when abdomin pressed

The vomiting still concerns me, though, if she is doing it often. If she just vomited a couple times, it is not as concerning. Generally speaking, if a lack of appetite has been going on for longer than 2 days, then it is recommended to have them checked out by a vet. Even if there is some appetite for treats or some human food, it still doesn't rule out a medical issue going on. At the very least, she may need something prescribed for nausea or even short term anxiety control, like trazadone. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Husky is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian